across Sharp Street on the northeast corner of Conway is
oldest, still-standing house of worship in all of Baltimore
City, the Old Otterbein United Methodist Church.
local carpenter by the name of Jacob Small completed
construction on the Church in 1785.It was built entirely of bricks that had served as
ballast on British ships mooring in the Inner Harbor.The Church’s namesake was Bishop William Otterbien
whose importance to Baltimore is reflected in the fact that
the adjoining neighborhood also bears his name.